Well, today is the day I have anxiously been waiting for... my dermatologist appointment. I have been so curious about my hair loss. My dermatologist appointment was quick and straight to the point, that's how all Dr appointments should be. I was in and out of the office in 30 minutes.
After the Dr. took a close look at my head, he concluded that I have Alopecia. Alopecia is an auto immune disease and can be caused by multiple things, and it's impossible to track exactly how I got it. Dr. Edwards asked if there was anything that was really stressful or a change in my my daily life. After a couple minutes of thinking, nothing came to mind. I get stressed over little things, but there was nothing that was huge. I explained a few symptoms I had been experiencing since I switched my birth control and his face lit up like a light bulb. He said it's possible to get Alopecia from birth control. He said I need to immediately stop taking that brand of birth control and switch to the old brand that I was on.
In order for the hair to grow back, I need to have steroid shots into that bald spot. I got 3 shots today, and I need to go back in a month to get more, and continue going back until the hair is fully grown. Dr. Edwards said I will have Alopecia my entire life, and hair is more likely to fall out when I get stressed or my hormones change (especially pregnancy). I am hoping it will never get to the point where I lose all of my hair. If only small patches fall out, I will be very grateful. I am thankful it's Alopecia and not a life threatening disease. Hair doesn't even matter, right? That's what I keep telling myself, anyways :)
No comments:
Post a Comment